Thriving through change
Managing Partner Maureen Penfold guides us through what’s changed and what remains steadfast in an exhilarating year for Moore Kingston Smith.
In a career spanning almost four decades, Maureen has learnt to expect the unexpected. “We are always ready to adapt and embrace change here,” she says. “But even by our standards, this has been an incredibly exciting 12 months.”
Indeed it was just as 2018 drew to a close that Maureen took the call that was to lead to our firm, which has been known as Kingston Smith for 96 years, rebranding to become Moore Kingston Smith. The name change retains our much valued heritage while reflecting our new position as the go-to London-based accounting and business advisory practice of Moore Global, a professional network of more than 260 firms across 110 countries.
“This decision has been about membership, not merger,” explains Maureen. “Joining Moore Global enables us to offer a fully integrated service to our clients seeking international expansion. It is also a natural next step in our own growth. But we remain an independent business, in control of our own destiny while building on our strengths as trusted advisers to all our clients, wherever they are on their journey.”
The catalyst for change was a restructuring within the Moore network which created a vacancy for a representative firm in the UK capital. Moore declared Kingston Smith to be its first choice and, says Maureen, “although we weren’t actively looking for this new direction, we are always open to opportunities that offer enhanced services for our clients and extend our growing edge.”
“Joining Moore Global enables us to offer a fully integrated service to our clients seeking international expansion.”
Early in 2019, Maureen embarked upon an in-depth consultation process with partners. “As an award-winning top 20 firm, we were never going to make a decision lightly, but the more we looked into the proposal, the more we could see that the values, ethos and aspirations of the network were perfectly aligned with ours.”
Moore’s declared purpose is to help people, clients and communities thrive in a changing world. Its network connects 300,000 professionals in more than 600 locations, creating a ‘glocal’ family offering global vision with local expertise. All member firms commit to high quality thresholds. “These thresholds are vital because they mean that wherever in the world our clients are seeking support, we can be confident they will receive the consistent care and guidance that we ourselves offer,” says Maureen. “In short, they enable us to offer a seamless, trusted service with global reach.”
Kingston Smith officially joined the Moore network in May and both organisations co-ordinated rebrands in September when Kingston Smith adopted the Moore prefix. “It has worked brilliantly because we get to keep our longstanding identity while highlighting the worldwide resources we provide from Moore’s respected and dedicated knowledge-sharing base,” Maureen explains.
On a personal level, Maureen says she feels humbled by the welcome she has received from peer firms within Moore Global. “I’ve talked to hundreds of network colleagues at workshops and conferences throughout the year. They are so interested and impressed by what we offer and that confirms to me that we have something to shout about and makes me proud of everyone at Moore Kingston Smith.
“Everybody within Moore Kingston Smith has stepped up to the challenge of the rebrand. There’s an energy and excitement about our innovative approach that feels infectious. To help others be successful, we first have to be successful ourselves. And by becoming Moore Kingston Smith, we are harnessing our expertise and positioning to maximise the potential of all our clients.”
How being ‘Moore connected’ benefits our clients
- By becoming an integral member of the Moore Global family, we can ensure that wherever our clients are in the world, we can be there for them, too.
- As part of Moore Global, we are part of a network of 260 inter-dependent firms working together to support our clients with uniformly high standards of service across 110 countries.
- Every member of the Moore network commits to independently assessed and monitored procedures and response times. This reassures us at Moore Kingston Smith that the firms to whom we introduce our clients will deliver great results.
- The Moore quality stamp guarantees a consistency of experience – clients can be certain of the same levels of service whether they are seeking support in Uxbridge, Ukraine or the United States of America.
- Being part of the network strengthens our tax advisory and audit offerings along with all other services and means we have access to greater resources from a wider knowledge-sharing base.
- Clients with no international aspirations still benefit from our global perspective. We deliver advice underpinned by insights of our partners across the world.
- Through our relationships within the Moore network, we are connecting and collaborating to take care of the needs of all our clients on every level – local, national and international.
To read more about our change of name please click here.